Paul is reaching the end of his ministry. Timothy needs help in his. And so the apostle writes to his young friend and protege, urging him to guard the gospel, preach the gospel, and live the gospel.
Phillip Jensen opens up these letters for us, calling readers to do just what Timothy did—to love Christ and teach truth in our generation, and to teach others to do the same.
This accessible, absorbing expository guide opens up this book for new and mature Christians alike. It is more applied than a typical commentary, making it a great resource for personal devotion, as well as useful for leading small group studies or sermon preparation.
- 1. The aim is love (1 Timothy 1:1-7)
- 2. The Savior and the blasphemer (1:8-18)
- 3. One Mediator and his church (1:19 – 2:15)
- 4. Elders and deacons: a noble task? (3:1-13)
- 5. The mystery of godliness (3:14 – 4:16)
- 6. Household relationships (5:1 – 6:2)
- 7. The great gain of godliness (6:3-21)
- 8. Guard the good deposit (2 Timothy 1:1-18)
- 9. Soldiers and workers (2:1-26)
- 10. Life in the Last Days (3:1-17)
- 11. I have fought the fight (4:1-22)
- 208 pages
- April 2019